A K-12 service initiative would give us opportunity to create together, with our youth. We would engage in a wave of collective endeavor we have never experienced with the energy and inspiration of our youth carrying us forward toward ideals they see and want to achieve. It is new, inspiring territory for us to explore.
Some have pioneered ahead for us, carving a path for us to join them in the satisfying humanitarian and environmental endeavor they have discovered. They want others to replicate and extend the embrace of solutions they have created, and we are capable.
We don’t need to leave the lives we have already established. We can easily engage in an organized framework that shows where our interests, talents and excess can integrate with larger community goals. We can all connect with our youth who manage this information that holds our communities in sustained, common endeavor. We can not only educate our youth – we can inspire them with purpose, with outcomes and statistics that demonstrate their value and potential to influence their world – their ability to turn our world from overwhelming problems to solutions that brighten our collective path. It is possible for our energy to shift, for our habits to improve, for our perspective to brighten, for our conversations to bend toward the positive.
A K-12 service initiative will unite us in comprehensive, collective problem solving, increasing our effectiveness in many stalled problem solving areas at once:
- Address high school dropout at the root
- Revive student motivation
- Community based non-profits:
- Sustain support for the problems they are managing
- Bring more solution models to their attention for consideration
- Schools at the center of our communities
- Provide one place to go for information
- Organize our efforts; see who’s doing what
- Consider new projects others have created
- Global outreach
- Communication between youth and outstanding social entrepreneurs
- Networking among youth nationwide and globally
- Youth – the next generation – working with their peers of the future
We have so much good to bring to the world as humans. We can focus on this aspect of our capabilities and build – with our youth – the world we hoped for when we were young. It is possible, and a service initiative embedded in K-12 education nationwide would take us down this path.
Our entrepreneurial tendencies and humanitarian outreach are well known. Let’s build together, tapping these strengths and drawing forth outcomes that make our rising generation proud. Let’s give them something of value to do with us – to create with us – that builds on our ideals as a people.